Wednesday 17 October 2012

menu plan

A few weeks ago I made a commitment to pack a healthy lunch and snacks each day. To be totally honest, this hasn't happened. Mornings at my house are a crazy rush to get ready and out the door. Usually I throw together the same old sandwich of processed meat, cheese and a few limp salad leaves. Yuck. So I've decided to get my act together. Today I spent twenty minutes googling recipes, followed by a big supermarket shop.

Here is what I am eating this week:

Breakfast
My usual (yoghurt, muesli and fruit)

Lunch
Rye wrap with smoked salmon and cucumber
Egg salad sandwich on wholegrain bread
Aranchini balls with homemade hummus
Homemade sushi

Dinner
Grilled chicken breast; chickpea and fetta salad; salad leaves
Jamie Oliver pork and prune stew from the 'Jamie Does' cookbook; steamed rice; steamed veg
Baked salmon; leftover chickpea and fetta salad; steamed veg
Turkey and green onion meatballs with chinese broccoli

Snacks
Lemon and poppy seed muffins
Hazelnut oat slice
Homemade hummus and vegetables
Fresh fruit
Mini pretzels

I am not planning my meals around calories and calorie counting. In fact, I was standing in front of the cream cheese at the supermarket today, and I had the choice between full-fat, light, or extra light. I did think for a moment, 'what would Michelle Bridges' do'... but I went with the light option, which is what I would usually select. Extra light seems a bit extreme to me right now.

I am focussing on preparing food with plenty of fresh vegetables. Food I know that I will enjoy. I will by writing down everything I eat and tracking it on the 'My Fitness Pal' app which will give me a daily calorie summary. I will be interested to see the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment